What it Is

Welcome to the online development log for the The Puppeteers, an original comedy by the contemporary commedia dell'arte troupe Zuppa del Giorno. Here you will find lots of research, disjointed rambling and spit-balling, all of which has led to the creation of a show.
Want to book it?
The Puppeteers are available for mid-size venues, with sufficient time to remount! It's a show that can be customized to any area, any audience. Simply contact director Jeff Wills on email!

November 20, 2010

Bring a Puppet

Our next developmental meeting is this Sunday, and it's short one, so I have asked our actors to do a little homework assignment.  I present the assignment  here for your admiration or ridicule.



Bring a puppet.
  • Can consist of 1-3 items
  • Must read from stage (something that occupies more space than just a hand)
  • Must have a mechanic; a plunger won't work, but a plunger with a cracked suction cup that flaps (mechanic) will
  • Must be untraditional (e.g., NOT sock, paper bag, classic marionette, stick puppet)
  • Must have:
    • Distinctive voice
    • Three repeatable signature movements (think Muppets/commedia characters - this is how this guy nods, runs, plays the fiddle)
    • Ability to monologize
  • Does not have to have:
    • Life history
    • Smooth or finished look
    • Immediate recognizability (this is a man, this is a dog, this is a furry monster)
The ideal way to make this puppet is to find it, utilize something extant to its full absurdity.

4 comments:

  1. Prof., thanks again. You're so supportive, we may have to hire you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to steal this for my Stage Movement class--you okay with that?

    Too bad I'm not in New York. Hey, you should add me to your blogroll--I'll do the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totes okay, Jenn! Just be sure to let me know how it goes. I'll email you to talk shop for blogroll listing and such - I want to make sure I get it right. Grazie, come sempre.

    ReplyDelete